Saturday, January 26, 2013

Date Night Movie Review - Django Unchained

Posted in: , ,

I have long been a fan of Quentin Tarantino's movies, in fact, Kill Bill is one of my best movies of all time, so I know what to expect when I go to see one of them. I'm not a proponent for violence but I have to admit it feels good to see bad people killed. More than that, I love Tarantino's stories and the way he tells them - his characters, their dialogue, his camera work, the movie soundtrack, everything.

Django Unchained delivered on all these points, in addition, it presented a mirror up to what is the real history of America for us to remember and bear in mind. So while most of his movies are personal, this is both personal and political. I was totally mesmerized by the almost 3 hrs film.

Truth to tell though, I had to close my eyes at certain points in the movie because I couldn't bear to keep watching some of the deep pain and agony sprinkled through the story. This more than the violence was what I found disturbing, and several times I found myself crying. I also laughed a lot, and I can say that love it or hate it, Django Unchained will surely touch you.

I have read so many reviews that dwelt on the over use of the N-word. Personally, it did not bother me. At a certain point, I got to wondering what the fuss was about. This word seems to have too much power over everyone if you ask me. Yes, I know I am not African American, but believe me that I know my history of being black in America. I still recall reading then watching Roots, among other historical movies and books of the slave era, and over the past 7 years I have lived in two countries where racism is still alive and well.

I believe that you're only insulted when you allow it, and for me, the N-word was a word for those times and nothing more. So when it was so much in Django, it only added validity to the time period the movie was set, because really, that was how people used it back then. I was also very much engrossed by the plot and action going on before me. That said, if you are offended by the word, and have not seen the movie yet, that is something to bear in mind.

The best part of the movie for me? At the end with Django riding away into the sunset with Broomhilda his love. Classic! I give this 4 stars - Myne





I won't spend too much time on this review - suffice to say that this was one of those situations where reality fell short of expectation.

The first half of the movie, I quite enjoyed. Dr. Schulz (played by Christopher Waltz) is a slavery hating bounty hunter who takes a slave, Django (Jamie Foxx) under his wing. Together, they track down criminals with a price on their head, and hatch a plan to look for Django's wife. I enjoyed the portrayal of Dr. Schulz's character - showing a sly wit and genuine compassion.

But the second half of the movie, I didn't like so much. I simply wasn't prepared for the gratuitous barrage of the n-word and the violence that I experienced. In the end, this overshadowed the story, which itself began to run out of steam. So Django Unchained just gets a 3 from me. - Atala



14 comments:

  1. The trailers to the movie looked good, but I tend to shy away from issues of slavery- they make me angry all over again. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to see it or not. You have tipped me to the see it side. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder when this movie will come to Nigeria, I am tired or reading spoilers.

    You both did justice to the review without giving much away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the movie is in Nigeria o...
      i saw it at film house cinema surulere last weeks Sunday (20th of jan)
      happy viewing...
      i really loved it.

      Delete
  3. I have been looking forward to this movie since I saw the preview, I think I am going to like it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nana, Lara and Femme, I hope you do get to see it, and that enjoy it when you do :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I (and my housemates) totally felt the way Atala did!

    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you dear. It seems this is a love it or hate it kind of movie.

      Delete
  5. #Epic is the word for this movie. Was totally blown away. In spite of the above-usual running time, I almost didn't want it to end. Saw the original as a kid. Gotta say I've never seen a movie re-make this good.

    "It's a raid. So what if ya can't see. All that matters is 'can the horse see?'"

    "Now, Mon-soe Candtie (Monsieur Candie), ........." {The afro accent duck-taped this line to my memory}

    "The D's silent hillbilly"

    Lovely, lovely movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the movie, I would cal it EPIC too :)

      Delete
    2. Loool. DJANGO... The D is silent....

      I think the parts I really enjoyed were at the beginning when Dr Schultz approached the slave traders, when he shot the sheriff and the times Jamie wanted to bring out his gun at Candie's. And Stephen? That guy is something else.

      Delete
  6. Funny went to watch it on Saturday with my sisters. Agree with Myne but too much blood. Some very unnecessary. Atala and my sister have the same opinion. Dr Schultz was a very interesting character. Would give it 3.5/5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with you and Deronk. Great film but at least a couple of scenes should have ended up on the cutting room floor. Saw it last Sunday, would review on AOP blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I DON'T LIKE THE MOVIE AT ALL! I THOUGHT THE STORY LINE PLAYED OUT LAME!

    And the Caps are to emphasize my dissapointment with Tarrantino.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I dont think so. i totally enjoyed the movie though I didnt like the ladies role. I just hate the fact that Jamie didnt win any award. bt Christopher W, was a wow

      Delete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.