Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Grilled Beef Ribs with Vegetable and Mushroom

Posted in: , , , , ,

Most of us, myself included, believe it's not a proper meal if there's no carbohydrate involved. So most of our meals feature a starchy element either as the main meal or a side. If you're a typical Nigerian like me, it had to be the main dish jare, at least by size.

So the eba/poundo/amala has to be bigger than the efo, the rice has to fill the plate, then you'll add a jot of stew or sauce to the top, if you're eating moi-moi or beans, there has to be akamu/ogi/custard or you drink garri with plenty sugar. If you've seen the moi-moi post you'll know I really have a ways to go myself on this issue.

But last year while on the Bouari program, I made a realization. The program promotes healthy eating and calorie counting and wherever possible, all their menu and recipe samples asked for me to quit the carbs. While on the program I did, afterwards, I regressed. But I had learnt some things and they stuck.


For one, I can do without starch if I want to. Two, there are recipes that will fill you up even without carbs. So, with time, I began to put these into practice, and for at least two main meals each week (which is usually dinner) I do without the _________ {insert your favorite starchy food}.

One of the recipes is a finger-licking one. Grilled beef ribs and a side of mixed vegetables.


A. THE BEEF RIBS

All you need for this one is your pack of beef ribs from the store, and the spices you have for preparing meat. {@Eya - I promise, I'll post them soon}

1. Defrost the ribs in the fridge
2.  Cut into single pieces and rub all over with the spices
3. Put cooking spray on your oven-proof tray and place the ribs side by side
4. Grill in the oven on low heat for 15 minutes on each side.
5. Your meat is ready.



SIMPLE VEGETABLE SAUCE

Ingredients - vegetable oil, mushrooms, spinach, onions, tomatoes, pepper - all chopped, 1 maggi cube and salt to taste.

1. Put 2 teaspoons of oil in a sauce pan, and heat till lightly smoking.
2. Add a small pack of chopped mushrooms, the maggi cube and salt. Stir-fry for 10mins
3. Add the chopped onions, tomatoes and pepper and keep stirring for another 5 mins.
4. Check that the seasoning is enough, and add more if necessary.
5. Add your spinach and stir.
6. Remove from heat once it starts to simmer.

Serve with the grilled beef ribs. You can also use ketchup or any other beef sauce on the ribs. Eat the sauce with fork and knife, and then polish off the ribs with your fingers for an awesome finish.

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. Everywhere I turn, all I see is FOOD.
    Looks yummy. I'm definitely going to make that with some grilled chicken though. I have no ribs at home at the moment. Chicken will have to do for now.

    Thanks for the torment. I appreciate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yes, chicken is ok, I use that too when it's available.

      Delete
  2. Myne, this will mean learning how to eat anew. You know that in Nigeria we were brought up with that pattern of food; big bowl of carbs with little protein or veggies. But it is good the otherway round. It may only take some time to adapt sha. The grilled beef is very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Debby. Even here, it is small small.

      Delete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.