Thursday, February 7, 2013

Kerry Washington Covers Ebony's Scandal Issue

Posted in: , , ,

Last year was Kerry Washington's year, she broke out as Olivia Pope on the new ABC show, Scandal, now in its second season. She also starred in Django Unchained, even though I felt her character, Broomhilda was very underdeveloped, and Kerry as an actress underutilized. This month, she graces the cover of Ebony magazine, talking about her life, her work, and especially Scandal.

Scandal is one of my favorite show, but the Olivia Pope and President Fitz affair is beginning to weary me. I believe in going for what you want, and the way these two spout sonnets and love to each other of love unbreakable and then go back to the status quo tire me. What is the status quo? The president is married and his wife is heavily pregnant! Add in a handsome hunk of a boyfriend, who happens to be the Senate Majoity Leader, and you have a scandalous stew all right.

I am still watching though, and some of these excerpts from Kerry's interview in Ebony give me a deeper insight into her Olivia Pope character...


Excerpts from EBONY interview:

Kerry on if the President on Scandal had been black

“I was a little concerned because [the character has] a scandalous relationship with the [occupant of the] White House,” the actress said. “I thought, ‘If the president on the show is Black, I will not do the show.’ Because to me, it was too important a moment. I didn’t want to do anything that compromised my relationship with the [president] or that made it seem like I had an insider view on the Obama presidency. I thought that would be so disrespectful and so against all the work that I had done.”

Kerry on what she loves about Olivia Pope

In her professional life, she is so powerful and is this self-made woman…But in [Olivia’s] personal life, she is a mess and I kind of love that…I love that I get to embody all of that complexity because I also think it takes a certain level of progress for us to have a Black Woman that powerful be an emotional mess on television.

Kerry on the connection between Olivia and Broomhilda:

[Olivia] is the answer to Broomhilda’s prayers…I’m grateful that these two women on opposite ends of history, on opposite ends of their experience, both strong women but in such different ways, can exist at the same time.
BTW, Kerry is one fine woman. This cover doesn't do her enough justice. In some of her scenes in both Scandal and Django, her beauty is just so breath taking.

Who watches Scandal, what do you think of the story so far?




5 comments:

  1. Ahyaya. Kerru Washington is something

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer my reality shows like RHOA than these ones. But Kerry looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry is my girl crush! esp in Scandal.. hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting really tired of Kerry's cry face! To us Nigerians the scandal is not so scandlous, election malpractice and an affair with a married man, regular occurences here, wish they would give us something more, something we can really sink our teeth into. All said I still love the show.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.