Monday, April 29, 2013

Between Boston and Boko Haram

Posted in: , , ,

I live in America, I am Nigerian. Chimamanda called it this thing around an immigrant/emigrant's neck, and it manifests in different ways. This blog has a focus on relationships, but I also try to keep updated on politics and current affairs, and I report some of them here. I wrote a several pieces on the Boston bombings here, it was scary, it was closer to home, and the news was full with it.

A few days later, I heard of the over hundred people killed north of Maiduguri and followed as the government and JTF bandied words like over-exaggerated around about the number of people the red cross and eye witnesses reported dead. But there was just a couple of articles on the Nigerian newspaper apps I have on my phone, and by the next day, other news has taken the front page. I also moved on.

This article on the Daily Beast got me thinking, though it is directed at American, I think maybe we Nigerians, and can I say those living in the country especially, have a lot to ponder on. Are Nigerians second class citizens in their own country where local papers give more column inches to American news than to home grown incidents? Food for thought.

Pity Boston, Ignore Nigeria: The Limits of Compassion by Janine di Giovanni

No one would ever argue that the bombing in Boston was not horrific. But there was something uncomfortable in the obsessive global news coverage, of the bottleneck of journalists flying into Logan Airport struggling to find the smallest remnant of some new detail to report. Was it the suggestion, subtly transmitted, that America is the center of the universe?


Earlier in the week, I watched CNN from my home in Paris, devastated by the pointless killings at the marathon’s finish line. But I found it unnerving to listen to a South Boston columnist ranting on and on about how journalists at the scene could face posttraumatic stress disorder. It sounded as though he was struggling with a new angle, having exhausted his personal supply of misery.

Flipping the channel to BBC World, I caught the end of a report about the conflict in northern Nigeria, on the border of Chad. Images of bloodied corpses and fighting flashed on the screen.

The reporter, a local Nigerian, sounded weary as he duly gave the figures: 137 killed in clashes between the Nigerian military and the suspected Islamic insurgents. The injured were tallied at 77. This was in a single night. As the Financial Times reported, “scores of people” were killed.

I thought back to reporting in northern Nigeria after several states adopted Sharia in 2000. I remember driving to remote villages outside of Abuja, the capital. I drove down dusty red roads for hours. I saw burnt-out churches that had been lit on fire by radical Islamists with worshippers locked inside. I interviewed fathers whose entire families had been wiped out in a single night when their houses were doused with gasoline.
I was traveling with a veteran African correspondent, who after talking to an amputee, turned to me and said, “War is hell anywhere. But war in Africa is body parts in trees.”

I saw a man sitting in stocks, about to be whipped. I interviewed a man whose hand had been chopped off for stealing. He said that the Islamic court had ordered it, but mercifully allowed him a local anesthetic before.

One hundred thirty seven people in northern Nigeria in a single night; hundreds more throughout the conflict. Three people in Boston.

And I must be honest and say that one of my first reactions was about the way those three people looked. They were a graduate student, an adorable little boy, a 29-year-old blonde woman. They were people who looked like me, my son, or the students who gather outside my front door, waiting at the bagel shop for a lunchtime sandwich. That’s part of the reason our compassion lies so deep throughout the Western world. We can relate.

Flash to 1994. The genocide of Rwanda is beginning. But the world’s press—myself included—is focused on Bosnia. And the television viewers and radio listeners and newspaper readers are suffering from compassion fatigue. They are tired of Africa.

“Band Aid nearly killed me,” I remember a wealthy Londoner telling me in the mid 1990s, referring to Bob Geldof’s famous fundraising concert for the Ethiopian famine. “Then there was Somalia. By the time Rwanda rolled around, people had enough of images of starving African children …”

It was a terrible thing to say, but there was some perverse truth to it. It is also the reason why we, as reporters, had trouble keeping Rwanda in the news (and for me, later, stories from Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Zimbabwe ...).

I had dinner the other night with a woman who asked me why so many reporters and people identified with the Bosnian war. I told her that aside from the fact that it was another pointless and brutal conflict, the capital city, Sarajevo, was only a two-hour plane ride from Paris, and that our editors were constantly telling us to find people that readers could identify with.

But this was nothing new. Whenever I got to some obscure African city, the first thing my editor told me to do was to find “the last Brits in the city.” (I worked for a British newspaper. This happened to me whether I was in Africa or Iraq or Afghanistan.)

“Why was that?” she asked me angrily. She said her sister-in-law, who is Rwandan, survived the genocide but lost her brothers and father. “Because the Bosnians were white? Because they were European? Because they were good-looking?”

I cannot condense the horror of either the Bosnian war or the Rwandan genocide in the length of this column. But that woman had a point. Did we, in fact, identify more with the Bosnians because, pre-war, they lived a café society, a cross between the Hapsburgs and the Ottomans? Was it because if you pointed a camera at a young girl, brutally mutilated by a shell, she also looked like someone’s daughter?

Boston will linger forever in our minds, and I don’t want to diminish it. But I cannot forget the image of a Nigerian woman, weeping, after losing her children in this week’s violence. Acres of newspaper inches have been devoted to the dead in Boston. Did anyone write about her?

Boston is still on the front pages. But in northern Nigeria, the sad truth is: who really cares?

_______

First published in Daily Beast

Janine di Giovanni, a French national and a member of The Council on Foreign Relations, is an ASME winner and the author, most recently, of Ghosts by Daylight: Love, War, Redemption.



5 comments:

  1. Sad reminder of how easy and convenient it is to brush everything Nigerian or African aside. Out of sight out of mind comes to mind.

    Can we really blame the West? Our own people themselves don't give two cents (not all) so...
    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Nigeria and I am ashamed reading this. 3 dead in Boston, 180 in Borno, yet I was praying more for the Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought about putting up a post about the attack in Boston, but was so weary and down about it (I lived in Boston for a few years, still have friends and family there, so it really resonated with me). And then a couple of days later, I hear snippets of 180 killed,... Boko Haram... Northern Nigeria. I hate to say it, but I brushed it off in my mind. Up until now, I still haven't gone to search for the full story.

    I do feel bad that I gave the Boston attack precedence over the one in *I don't even know the city.* Maybe I identify more with America than Northern Nigeria?

    http://berrydakara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attractive portion of content. I simply stumbled upon your
    site and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed account
    your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing in your feeds and even I achievement you get entry to constantly rapidly.


    my page :: Pepper Spray and Stun Guns

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this
    website. I'm hoping to view the same high-grade content
    by you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own
    site now ;)

    Nino Tinari

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.