Monday, May 27, 2013

Not our Property - Will Smith on Fatherhood

Posted in: , ,

In this interview promoting After Earth, another film they both star in,Will Smith expands of what he sees in the future for his son, Jaden Smith, teaching him how to hunt, as opposed to simply giving him fish, and hoping to build a dynasty. I think he's being a great example of a father that a lot of African American sons need in their lives. I hope the children are just as successful as the father, I'm a big fan.


Smith, 44, and Jaden first co-starred together in 2006's "The Pursuit of Happyness." Smith produced his son's hit 2010 remake of "The Karate Kid" with Jackie Chan, which made over $350 million worldwide. (Smith's last movie, last summer's "Men In Black 3," earned over $600 million globally.)

Smith said he wants his family to be successful in the entertainment industry across generations, and has searched Hollywood history for models.

"I've looked for a lot of years. The Barrymores got really close to what I see in my head for my family," Smith said, referring to the clan of theatre and film actors famed in the 1930s and now represented by Drew Barrymore.

Smith's daughter Willow, now 12, appeared in two movies but has focused on music. After causing a stir with the pop smash "Whip My Hair" three years ago, she's backed away from the spotlight but continued to release songs online. Smith's other son, 20-year-old Trey, has taken up DJ work and posts electronic dance songs and mixes online. Jada Pinkett Smith is an actress, author, singer-songwriter and businesswoman. She and Smith started Overbrook Entertainment, which has produced many of Smith's films, including "After Earth."

Smith makes no apologies for encouraging his children to follow their parents toward cameras and microphones.

"I grew up in a family business. So it's like everybody works together and that's how the family bonds and communicates and how we eat," he said. "In my mind, I'm a warrior and I'm teaching my son how to hunt. And how else would I teach my son how to hunt other than bring him with me and we're in an interview and this is what I do and this is the business I work in. To me, I can't imagine what the other option is."

That said, he approaches parenting differently than his own father, a former Air Force pilot who enforced strict discipline on Smith and his siblings.

"The major difference is I'm trying to release the sense of ownership," Smith said. "With our kids, Jada and I believe that it's their lives and we are helping them with their lives. And they're not our property. They are people that are deservant of our respect and consideration in the same way that any other human being should be."

Interview - HuffPo, Picture - JustJared



4 comments:

  1. Didn't even know Hollywood had film families before this or the Barrymores or anything... interesting.

    But more interesting is that photo lol love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the reason that the admin of this site is working, no hesitation very shortly it will be renowned, due
    to its feature contents.

    my page :: barnawebses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been browsing online greater than three hours these days, but I never found any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the web will be much more helpful than ever before.

    Feel free to visit my weblog; alternemadrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I respect about Smith is the level of moral he inputs into his children. You should see Jaden's reaction when Miley went gaga during the last VMA.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.