Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Red Palm Oil As A Moisturizer For Dry Afro Hair

Posted in: , ,

Red Palm Oil is also great for dry hair. Especially natural afro-textured hair. It moisturizes dry hair giving it shine, bounce, softness and manageability w/o being heavy or weighing the hair down. The hair's ends retains softness and bounce.


Red Palm Oil should be used in moderation as a leave-in conditioner on the hair and you won't need the use of water, oil, butters, or cream-based hair lotions to moisturize your hair. Your hair will stay moisturized and shiny for about a week or so, especially if it is in a protective style.

RPO is red in color and does not go on clear like other yellow or golden colored oils. It stains yellow like curry or tumeric so it is best to cover hair when sleeping or use an old towel/t-shirt if using this as an oil rinse or in a conditioner or shampoo. So don't slather it on your hair as it will drip all over.

It is semi-solid and has a buttery but faint carroty smell so if used to moisturize/condition hair, it is best to use pin sized drops when moisturizing hair so that the smell won't be overpowering since it smells more buttery than carroty.
Other than that, I recommend this over coconut oil, argan oil or any other oil for moisture, shine, softness and bounce to combat dry, dull looking, damaged hair.

I've just tried this oil on my hair because I'm a Doubting Thomas. I wanted to prove it doesn't work. So 3 days later, I took down one of my twists to see whether there would be breakage and/or dryness (I'd used pin drops in case the oil wasn't adaptable to my hair). To my surprise my hair is soft, shiny, bouncy and moisturized which is totally unbelievable for my textured hair. Even my ends were soft! I took down a few more twists and saw the same results. I should say this has never happened to my hair before. Perhaps it's the rich mounts of Vitamin E that's in the oil compared to less in other oils.

As a natural, I've tried everything and nothing worked. Moisturizing shampoo/conditioner dried out my hair/ends, even those that were natural and sulfate free. Coconut oil and argan oil or my other oil combinations had to be applied every day or so to keep my hair moisturized and the ends from breaking but they never gave my hair shine. Organic Apple Cider Vinegar or Water/glycerin kept my hair soft and dull looking but never shiny.

I never go around writing on blogs commenting or recommending anything for hair as everyone's hair is different and has different needs. However, I will recommend this for those who have dry damaged hair and want soft, shiny, bouncy moisturized hair.

___________
RML Note - This comment came in under our initial post on the heart health benefits of red palm oil. Has anyone else tried palm oil on hair?





13 comments:

  1. I am so going to try this. www.secretlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myne, I tried it as a prepoo conditioner and gawd, my hair melted!! Never tried it as a leave-in though cos’ I’m scared of the colour staining my clothes and my sheets :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Since I'm the above author of the comment, I can tell you if you use it as a leave-in conditioner and wrap your hair at bedtime with a silk scarf, your pillow case and sheets should be fine. If in doubt just spread an old towel on your pillow. Once the RPO is used as a leave-conditioner, the hair stays moisturized for over a week. If the hair or ends feel tangled a little RPO untangles the hair and there is no breakage.

      I use the RPO as I would coconut oil/argan oil or any oil combinations but not as much. Since it has a buttery consistency, I use drops so that my hair won't have a smell or an oily feel. Just enough to coat the hair to make it soft and manageable.

      My hair is fine and thin so after using RPO for almost 2 weeks I don't have to reapply the RPO until my next wash. My hair has a blackness it has never had before. Perhaps I should say a richness. Perhaps it's the double amounts of Vitamin E that gives my hair moisture and richness of color that the other oils don't have. However, I do apply it to my scalp for conditioning massages.

      I haven't use RPO alone as an oil rinse since I plan on using it in coconut milk as a deep conditioner on my next wash day. JA

      Delete
  3. Palm oil just stains everything, even for prepoo I fear it will color my bathtub if I use it on my hair or skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it. Very good on the face too as a mask.

      For the hair, wrap it in cling film and stay away from furniture etc. I wear a black camisole with it on. Most times, I'm standing up and cooking with it wrapped. I wash it off after one hour. Colour your bath tub how? When there is Domestos bleach, nothing can colour that bath tub.

      Delete
    2. I cook with Red Palm Oil and I use Dawn to either soak the dishes or wash the dishes right away. I don't have any staining on my dishes/utensils. If you feel that RPO will stain your bathtub then wash your hair in the kitchen sink. JA

      Delete

  4. I will try this out....hopefully I will also have a good review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would it have same effect if one decides to ingest it as banga soup instead? Asking for a friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it won't.

      Delete
    2. LOL I will experiment and get back to you. Do you mind if I try it with ofada stew instead of banga soup?

      Delete
  6. There's more uses than just that for red palm oil! It's a very useful product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem you face for using too much shampoo that is hair loss. Shampoo containing the various elements. But every element is not helpful for hair. The SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate) is injurious to the scalp and is one of the main reasons for hair drop. So do not use excess shampoo to your hair . Use shampoo every 1-2 days but not using excess shampoo. When you use too much shampoo it create too much lather and it thinned your hair. On the other hand using excessive shampoo dry and hares your hair.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.