Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Should Jay Z Have Hit Solange? Are Men allowed to Fight Back?

Posted in: , , , ,

I was watching “The View” yesterday where the ladies discussed the incident where Beyonce's sister Solange attacked Jay Z, throwing punches and kicks. They talked about the mocking #WhatDidJayZSay twitter speculations, and reasons why Beyonce did not intervene to stop her sister's attack.

It was baffling for me when Whoopi Goldberg felt Jay Z had every right to retaliate against Solange regardless of gender. She said,

“I think Solange was ready for him to do whatever he was going to do. This is the thing, if anybody hits you, you have the right — I know that many people are raised in a very different way but if a woman hits you, to me, you have the right to hit her back.”



I didn't want to talk about this issue further, but some discussions on Facebook made me have a rethink, so I brought this for us to discuss. Not speculations on what caused the assault, or mocking of Jay Z which I'm totally against, but the gender aspect of the incident.

Personally, I can't even imagine any member of my family thinking to assault my husband, but if they pop a nut in their head and try it, I will shut it down very quickly.

But I can be calm sometimes, and I cannot completely say I don't get Beyonce's cool reaction, I have been like that once when two of my siblings were fighting, and we were all adults then too. So yes, no family is perfect, and sometimes things get physical. I think Jay Z and Beyonce handled themselves maturedly in a way that did not escalate the tension. Solange, of course, was totally out of order. That said I don't think she deserves a beat back from Jay Z.

I said this on Facebook when a friend called Solange out and said JayZ should have hit back;

Never any reason to hit a woman. Jay-Z did well. I do think Beyonce was on Solanges side. Or at least not on Jays.

Some comments called my view a double standard against men. But I still insist that while they should protect themselves, men should not hit women, and should not fight back as long as the woman is not attacking them with a weapon. When it comes to physicality, men are just so much bigger and stronger in most cases.

What do you think? Should Jay Z have hit Solange back? Should men be allowed to fight back if attacked by the women in their lives, their wives, girlfriend, sister, etc. Let's talk about it.




4 comments:

  1. You put your hands on a man, he has EVERY right to hit you back. Why do women think it is ok to put their hands on a man and EXPECT him not to hit you back? I don't get that logic. I am all #teamwoman, #teamfeminist but that does not include hitting a man. If a man physically assaults me, I am prepared to go to all extents to defend myself. A man should have that right. It is double standard to say a man should not respond to a woman hitting him. Statistics show that 15% of men are physically abused in relationships. That is NOT ok. The goal should be zero on both sides. Isn't that the equality we are always shouting we want? Ladies, keep your hands to yourself. But if a man is hitting you? ALL BETS ARE OFF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When she pours hot water on you or stab you or kick your balls so hard they crack, stand there and don't hit her back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all available options, Jay for reasons best known to him, (and perhaps everyone present at the scene of the bitchslapping) took the option not to react and for me he's coated in honor for that. Imagine if he'd hit back and the video had leaked this way, it would have been especially bad for him, worse than it could ever be for Solange. I love JayZ with a passion (nohomo) and would have been let down to actually Ơ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡ a video of my home boy smacking down on Solange. If a man can take it in his stride, it's Best. If he cannot, I can forgive him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who raises a hand against another individual should expect a response. Male or female.

    If a man in such a situation chooses not to, it is an honorable thing. I am a man, and I want to believe in most situations, I would act the same. However I can not and will never condemn any man who does so, once it is proven that the woman indeed attacked him first.

    Gender equality means exactly that. No double standards. My choosing to turn the other cheek, doesn't make your action justified, or any less wrong, or any less worth a response.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.