Thursday, August 7, 2014

Gbenga Adeyinka The First On His Marriage of 19 Years, Children, Career And Inspiration

Posted in: , , ,

In his interview with LoveOasis Magazine, a digital magazine, Gbenga Adeyinka talks about  his career, marriage and inspiration. He revealed how he and his wife had to ’run cashless economy’ in his home when he switched from the Corporate world to entertainment.

Read the full interview on www.theloveoasis.com Issue 9. The magazine is accessible, and FREE, on any Smartphone device, mobile Tablets and PCs. A downloadable app will be released in the coming months.

Below are excerpts from the interview:

What’s your philosophy about marriage?

It’s always about family, whatever you do; it must always be about family. Even when you think of misbehaving, always have your family at the back of your mind. Because if you lose everything in the world and you still have your family, there are chances you will find some form of happiness and rebuild. But if you gain everything in the world and lose your family, the chances that you will be able to rebuild may be practically impossible.

Can you give us a brief summary of how you met your wife?

I met her while I was still working with my uncle as a corporate affairs manager. We met at a place called Ilupeju supermarket building. I was working there and she was working in the finance house. I saw her on the staircase, and I said, ‘Hi’, she responded with ‘Hello’. And I said, ‘Do you know I’m going to marry you?’ She said ‘No. You are very funny o. No o!’ And I kept chasing her; it took me like one year, at the end it was worth the chase. That was twenty years ago. I got married nineteen years ago.

What Challenges have you had to overcome?

When we first met, I was doing my regular 9-5 job, we closed together and I used to pick her at work. But that changed with entertainment. And then as a young man, I had lots of feminine distraction, but she stuck in there. I always say it that, the day I leave my wife is the day God is going to punish me. Another challenge was when I left my regular job to face entertainment, cash was hard to find. We were the first people to run ‘Cashless economy’. This one that government is just starting it, ‘we don tey wey we don dey do am.’ Finance is always a strong part of any young marriage, once you don’t marry for money sake, then everything will be ok. But if money is the reason, there are chances it may not last. In spite of all the financial challenges, she was very supportive.

When problems occur, how do you handle them?



I have always known that, only a lazy man beats a woman; a very lazy man. And I tell the people I know, the day you touch a woman, it’s the day that relationships ends. When handling quarrel, fighting is out of it. I would rather just shut up. I erupt, I am left alone, I calm down and I apologize. It’s the same thing with her. One thing I’ve learnt too; it’s best to leave people out of it. Both of you will grow out of it. I think the most important thing is understanding. Marry for the right reasons not because, she has certain physical features or because her father has money which might backfire.





How are the kids able to differentiate between Daddy and Gbenga Adeyinka The First?

That’s where versatility comes in place. Like I told you, I try to be very versatile. Even at home, I am their friend, comedian, father and fellow Arsenal supporter. But then, I am also very hard on them because I was lucky to have parents that were hard on me and I know what it did for me. I am always pushing them. They know where to draw the line. Today I may be smiling, and tomorrow I may not. They know that when I bring out the big stick, they have to fall in line.

Do your kids request for free jokes?

Well funny enough, they tell me jokes and I also tell them jokes. Some of my best jokes were stolen from them.

What are your inspirations?

I am inspired by so many things. I have very many mentors. I try to pick a mentor in everything I do. When it comes to determination in life, its Martin Luther King and M.K.O Abiola, they show me that no matter where you come from, no matter your background, with hard work and perseverance and God, you can achieve anything in life. In Comedy, it’s Alibaba and Bill Cosby shows that no matter how old you are, you can still keep going. In Politics, it’s the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. He is proof that no matter what people say, you can keep going. In marriage, an uncle of mine, Engr. Adeyinka, he is a father figure to me. Everything I do now as a married man and father is geared towards making him proud of me. There was a very challenging period in my marriage when I thought it was all over and was ready to quit my marriage. He called me and said some things to me, and I felt like a fool. I try to be a rounded person so I steal inspiration from all of these good people.

What qualities have helped you stay on your game so far? 

I think it has to do with my perseverance. Like I always say, versatility is the name of the game. You have to keep redefining yourself if you want to stay relevant in the game. Never be afraid of trying out new things and most importantly be faithful to your calling. If you are a shoemaker, stay faithful to it.


About LoveOasis magazine:
LoveOasis magazine is a digital lifestyle magazine, with contents that cut across lifestyle, marriage, relationships and weddings. Each monthly issue features a married personality and each sub-edition of the issue features a newly wedded couple on the cover.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.