Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Nigeria's U20 Falconet Courtney Dike On Why She Turned Down $7000 World Cup Bonus

Posted in: , ,

Nigeria U20 Falconet, Courtney Dike, made news recently when it was publicized that she rejected the $7000 bonus given to her by the Nigerian Federal government after the team returned from their last tournament. Now, the 19-year-old has finally explained why she did not take the money.

Receiving the bonus from any other sponsor would have meant losing her almost $35,000 annual football scholarship in the United States at the Oklahoma State University under NCAA rules.

In her statement via the office of the media officer of the Nigeria Football Federation, Courtney Dike said.

“I would like to respond to what I have been reading on the internet about rejecting bonuses. I am delighted to play for Nigeria whenever called upon. I knew before leaving for the U-20 World Cup that I would not accept any bonuses.

Acceptance of prize money is against NCAA regulations (the division 1 collegiate governing body) here in the US, so that is the main reason for rejecting it. Knowing this beforehand, I still chose to represent the country because I believed the experience would be more valuable than the money, and I was right.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.