Friday, January 23, 2015

White Dad With African American Daughter Slams N-Word Bullies, But She Uses It Too

Posted in: , , , , ,

Brad Knudson posted a video to YouTube on Monday Jan 19, which quickly went viral and now has over 1 million views. In it, he defends his 14-year-old adopted African American daughter against twin bullies who had called her the N-word. The bullying had happened on New Year's Eve and after the parents of the twins waved aside what happened, the enraged dad decided to bring it online to campaign against bullying.

'I love my daughter and I don't want her to end up committing suicide because of freaking morons. I can't have this hanging over us and my daughter thinking the worst.'

In the video, Brad Knudson explains how his daughter was with one of her friends sending and receiving Snapchat messages when the twins from her school, who he says do not like his daughter, sent her the racist, bullying messages.

When the daughter got upset, her friend reported the messages to Brad and his wife, and on the fourth abusive message to the girl, the parents filmed it on their phone.

The message shows a boy calling Knudson's daughter a 'sl**', a 'n*****' and a 'fat a** b****'.

The parents were by then very upset, and Knudson says they found out who the twins were and even went to their home, but got no response. So he contacted police, who went to the school and spoke with the children and their parents.

Mr Knudson was finally able to contact Deron Puro, the twin's father, but says the man felt he was taking the children's playing too seriously.

"He didn't understand what was wrong with the video. He told me I was crazy, that that's what he did when he was a kid. Him and his family make jokes at the house using this word all the time so what was the big deal?"

Puro then left voicemail message for Knudson in which he says, 'I guess you're a n***** lover.' This was the last straw that broke the camel's back.



In his video, Knudson replies;

'That's a correct statement because i am an n***** lover because I have a beautiful African American daughter who I love more than life itself and would do anything for her.' 

He also adds that he told Deron Puro that he would share their discussions online and he said he stood by his racist comments and did not care if Mr Knudson did. According to reports, since the video went viral, Mr Puro has been fired from his job.

As it turns out however, Mr Knudson may have indeed taken things too far as it turns out that his daughter also uses the N-word in her snapchats with her friends. Brad Knudson updated this on the Youtube page, though he says that won't stop him from his anti-bullying campaign.

I would like to thank everyone for their support. I just found out our daughter did not take this issue as seriously as Wendy and I. The n word is something I was taught at a very young age was not appropriate. You hear nowadays a lot of songs by People of all color use this word. You also see videos that they use this word. I have never liked it I've always thought it was inappropriate that they used it. I have now found out that my daughter during the WCCO interview decide...d to use Snapchat and send people videos of her thinking that this was a game and it was funny and she actually uses the N-word twice. Regardless of your skin color I and my wife do not tolerate this word our daughter is going to be reprimanded in an appropriate manner. I am extremely saddened and disappointed because of this video she has discredited the message that we wanted to convey. I hope that this does not stop our efforts to highlight the issues that still remain regarding bully and the effects it has on children. It is still truly an epidemic and social media has allowed us to bully individuals 24 hours a day seven days a week no matter where that person lives. Wendy and I are still dedicated to highlighting this issue and help educate our young people on the effects of bullying and how to deal with bullying. Again I want to thank everyone for their support getting this message out.

Do you think the father blew things up more than necessary? Should he have brought this online, or tried to settle it quietly with the family or police intervention?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.