Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nigeria @ 50: The Golden Age - Day 20

Posted in: ,
Nigeria @ 50 Day 19 - Stuck in my Throat www.negesti4life.blogspot.com


So what are my thoughts and dreams as Nigeria clocks the golden age of 50?

I think of Nigeria as home. A home that has stuff scattered all over the place but still home. To understand the way Nigeria gets on my nerves, you have to know that I am something of a neat freak, I want things to be in their rightful place around me. I want things to work, and most times I don't mind pitching in to ensure that they do. In the case of Nigeria, it is sometimes so bad that one would be forgiven for thinking that all hope was lost. I don't buy that, never have and most probably never will.

Let me start from the beginning. I was born in Nigeria and grew up there. I did primary, secondary and first degree in Nigeria. I did not travel out of the country, even for visits, till I was over 25 years old. Some may say that this makes me blinded in a way to the faults of Nigeria. I agree but I do acknowledge that Nigeria has a long way to go. If I compare it to some of the more developed countries, I could even say we'll never get there. This is not true of course and one only has to look around to see that.



We were never rich, at best I'll class my family as lower middle class. We interacted widely and with all manner of people on a daily basis. As I grew up, I straddled that divide between the Ajebos and the Ajekpakos. I did not get to see just the good and at the same time, I did not see just the bad. I have noticed that in that middle, it is easier to come to terms with Nigeria. "ABroad" loses that appellation of escape it is to people at the different ends of the spectrum. The poor want to escape the squalor, and the elites want to escape the insecurity. Those that remain find crooked means to achieve a semblance of normalcy for themselves either by stealing (for the poor) or by corruption and patronage (for the elites)

I often blame the Nigerian people and not the political leaders for the way things are, and it is for this very reason. However, I also know that if there will be any changes, it will be from us, the people. I think at this time of the golden jubilee, it is time to ask ourselves questions individually. Is there something we're doing that we're not supposed to. And is there something we could do that we're not? In this way, we can begin to identify the problems and determine how we can be part of the solution.

I am not very political but I do believe in policy; building systems and structures that will outlast the politicians. And it is in this sphere that I have the biggest hope for Nigeria. One only has to look at the telecoms sector. It was started in the mid-nineties in the time of Abacha but continues to balloon. Several administrations have come and gone but the communications development marches on, creating more and more of that very important middle class. And as this group continues to increase, I believe we'll get to that critical mass required for an economic revolution.

I look forward to that time, and God willing, it is not too far now. Nigeria is in a state of flux and it is our actions that will decide the balance of probabilities. I may be out of the country but I want to be part of it. I also don't think anyone should be left behind, in fact, the more the merrier. So as we mark Nigeria @ 50, I do not think of what Nigeria can do for me but what I can do for Nigeria. I'm not doing it for GEJ or the NAS but for the people on the street, in the markets, churches, mosques, villages, and settlements. History will not forget me if I make a mark now, and I know opportunities like times such as these don't come around often.

So I dream of leaving footprints in the sands of time. The next 50 years will surely be better than the ones gone by.

_________________________________________

Nigeria @ 50 Day 21 - NoLimit www.life-nolimit.blogspot.com



28 comments:

  1. If we can dare to "...dream of leaving footprints in the sands of time." then, our job (of making Nigeria, unveiled as the beauty bride) has just been made easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. History will not forget me if I make a mark now.

    We fail to dream, we have given up hope for a better tomorrow...our porblem is we live for now.

    When we learn and start to live for tomorrow. and know that our actions today determine our tomorrow and children's tomorrow, then can we have our dream Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Myne, I honestly dont know what to make of this Nigeria @ 50 oh. I honestly dont. I am trying to make the country as habitual as possible for myself and my unborn kids. As difficult as it might seem. A part of me feels happy to be home again and dont really see myself migrating to the West. For now, I guess its safe to say we can just dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way I see it, some people want to see the best in Nigeria, say the positive and hopeful things in the belief that it would make things better, some say it as it really is and then some have decided to remain hopeful yet silent, whilst others bemoan their fate, either way, whatever we choose, there isn't a beginning that hasn't an end.
    If Nigeria is bad, surely, bad situation would come to an end, . It's all I know.. It won't always be like this..

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes o! i believe greater days lies ahead

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe the greater days are ahead...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see your passion on this subject coming out Myne. the key to everything is hope and determination

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments. It will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have great trust in God that Nigeria would be a better country. If onlu ''WE" can only contribute our quotas to making things work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is probably by fa the best Nigerian @ 50 post I've seen.

    Most of the others are either bitter or too happy. Yours is just the right amount of enlightened!

    You have gained a new follower

    xx

    http://somepeoplehaverealproblems-vain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too love the passion in your voice. Pride for out country is so important, as well as maintaining hope. I'm not from Nigeria, but as a Haitian, I understand the discontent and disappointment one can feel when their country, rich with history, has an opportunity to be great but instead teems with corruption.

    ReplyDelete
  12. True tok MW!...so true...hoping for the best also....doing my own 2 bits to make life better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really hop things change, because everyday i look round and its so sad. doesnt seem like things are getting better. Maybe its only prayer that can save us in Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  14. The responsibility of making Nigeria the paradise we dream of if ours. We would only get there by believing we can and doing all that is right in pursuit of our goal of a brighter tomorow.

    Nigeria needs a revolution... a revolution which in my view has started... the first part of which is the realisation that things need to change. Next is to tirelessly work towards it.

    I look at how Lagos has become a model state. One which every other state uses as a yardstick for what good governance should be all about. Lagos isnt quite there yet but it has awakened the sleeping giants in most of all.

    We can do it... you and I.
    GOD BLESS NIGERIA

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is time for change and we all need to sit up...gone are the days of "siddon dey look"... our actions matter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great post.well here's to better days ahead,and may we all live to see them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post Myne even if I find it had to drum up enthusiasm that the economical or infrastructual landscape is changing anytime soon. But I do agree with you about individual contributions to making that dream come true. Refusin to give that bribe, waiting your turn in queues, not paying for your nephew's WAEC expo..those 'little' things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are already walking the road that will make history...

    Great post Myne...

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Mamuje:-I love your sincerity...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks all. E go better, one day...

    ReplyDelete
  21. About time we all started thinking like this. Afterall, our leaders are from amongst us - and they serve us right!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You know, it really seems that all is lost in this country- things just go from bad to worst. But what can we do but hope for the best. It's home, and always will be. And i'd like to believe that God has kept this country this long, despite all the problems, for a pretty good reason!

    P.S. Check me up if you like kay http://adiyaatu.wordpress.com/
    and you write really well!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. the saddest thing about the change we cry out for is that many of us dont believe and one cant exactly blame them....

    ReplyDelete
  24. ...So I dream of leaving footprints in the sands of time. The next 50 years will surely be better...

    little drops of water they say make the mighty ocean
    let everyone adopts this and stick to it, we won't be waiting till 50 years
    enough is enough

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well said. Here's hoping we can turn things around for 9ja. Solid post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You got that right MW.
    The next 50 will definitely be better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You hit the nail on the head and I do believe in policy too

    ReplyDelete
  28. "However, I also know that if there will be any changes, it will be from us, the people."

    You couldn't have said it any better. And that's one of the major problems in naija: people fail to realize that we are part of the problem. We can't only blame the government.

    I mean is the government to blame for people littering the streets even though they just passed by someone sweeping the road or highways? Behaviors like that just irk me...

    I get so frustrated by the level of ignorance and apathy that some of us display. But truth be told, things are starting to look up, albeit very slowly. We'll get there though. I pray and hope so. We need to.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.