Saturday, June 9, 2012

Home Cooking - How I make Puff-Puff or Buns

Posted in: , , , ,
Quick-rise Yeast

I try not to eat a lot of fried foods or pastry but sometimes I get nostalgic for Nigerian snacks and buns and puff-puff are some of the easiest to prepare. Puff Puff is a deep fried snack made from plain flour, yeast, sugar, and water. The main difference between puff-puff and buns is that you add eggs and/or milk to the buns. They are both simple to make and can keep in the fridge for up to a week. My recipe is a cross between buns and puff-puff as I add just milk and it comes out not too soft and very chewy.

Ingredients: My apologies for no measurements, I usually go by sight and feel. There's some trial and error too :)

Plain Flour
Yeast
Mixed Spices
Granulated Sugar
Salt
Milk
Water
Frying Oil

Preparation

I usually sieve my flour and get the yeast ready. I have used two types of yeast. The first one was in a paste mixture and I would add some lukewarm water and let it stand for about ten minutes. The yeast I use now is in powdered granules and I add it direct to the flour after sieving them all together.


Directions

1. Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl, that is flour, a pinch of mixed spices and salt, sugar and the powdered yeast.
2. Add in the milk and then the water slowly, and mix together till they are all well blended. If you're in a hurry, you can use hot (not boiling, trust me) water to mix the batter instead of tepid water.
3. Do not add too much water, and stop adding when the mixture is thick and droppy rather than drippy.
4. Cover the bowl with tissue and make sure it is airtight by using a rubber band around the edges. You can also use aluminum foil and press it to the edges of the bowl.
5. Allow the batter to rise for about 45 minutes. By then, it should have risen in quantity and will have air bubbles at the top.
6. Pour oil at least 3 inches deep into a pot and allow to heat up for about 5 minutes. You can be sure the oil is heated enough by dropping a little batter or onions in it. If it sizzles and rises to the top, you're ready. If the oil is not hot enough, the batter/onions will sink to the bottom of the pot.
7. Using a round bottom spoon or your fingers, scoop some batter into the oil. The size is up to you.

Nigerian puff puff
My Nigerian Puff-Puff

8. You can scoop as much of the batter in as there is space in the your pot without the buns touching each other.
9. Turn over once or twice after two minutes on each side.
10. The buns shouldn't take more than 5 - 8 mins. The color is supposed to be golden brown, but you can see mine is a bit darker. The color is up to you I want to make sure the batter is well cooked inside by using a thin knife or fork to check the middle.
11. Use paper towels to help soak away any excess oil from the puff puff or buns when you remove from the pot.
12. They are ready to eat, warm or cold. You can have them with any drink of your choice.

See a fuller Puff Puff Recipe at allnigerianrecipes.com and the video below.




19 comments:

  1. I can never get this recipe right. I will keep trying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep trying, remember only to make a little at a time.

      Delete
  2. lol, exactly how i measure my ingredients, sight and feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I love to have fun in cooking and so I just go with the flow...

      Delete
  3. i always make chin-chin when i get nostalgic for Nigerian snack, might give this a try next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try Chin chin the next time. I'm turned off by the cutting.

      Delete
  4. My chin-chin often ends up looking like puff-puff lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...too rich (milk, eggs) or too much baking powder, maybe? Or cut too big.

      Delete
    2. cut too big. i just don't have the patience lol.

      Delete
  5. My first ever comment because i love puff puff. Was making it so much between 2010 and 2011 and i put on so much weight. I've given it a rest now. When i'm in Lagos, i always buy fresh from the frying pan in Ado market. I don't like buns. Puff puff does it for me. It's very easy to make. First commentator try with a small quantity and when you get it right you can make a larger portion. I learnt how to make it from the You Tube video and i got it perfect from the 2nd time onwards. Chin Chin? Seems so stressful to me but i love good sweet chin chin though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy chin chin too, but the couple of times I did it, too much stress like you said. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
    2. You are welcome!

      Delete
  6. Nkem, Mrs. Nduka will be proud you made puff puff. Will make some soon but I prefer chin chin. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nkiru. Mrs Nduka was a lovely teacher. She made me enjoy cooking, and of course, she gave good grades too :)

      Delete
  7. Sigh. Lucky you. I did everything as listed above yet my puff puff ended up looking like akara. I had no choice but to enjoy the feast alone, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try adding more yeast or baking powder next time, and more oil for frying. But as far as it tastes good, I'm not too fussed TBH.

      Delete
  8. oooo thank you! I have been looking for this in my mind for so long (in my mind meaning i havent asked anyone for it but i have always wanted it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pls i need recipe forfruit and plain cake. And also recipe for fondant icing and flower paste. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to learn pan cake, thanks

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.