Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tribute to Nora Ephron - Best Rom-Com Quotes

Posted in: , , , , , , , ,

My history of reading loads and loads of romance novels and watching truckloads of romantic comedies and enjoying them made me choose to write in the romance genre, and Nora Ephron, though she told her own stories through scripts and movies, was an inspiration.

A few days before we travelled to DC, Atala was searching for someone's email address and ran across a thread of emails we had exchanged more than four years ago. He then proceeded to read them out loud, and it was funny and amazing recollecting how we had started. An online friendship that paralleled Nora Ephron's You've got mail, which explored internet romances. I had watched that movie over and again long before I met Atala. However, he is also a fan, and was the one that first informed me of her passing.

Nora Ephron, "American filmmaker, director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, playwright, journalist, author, and blogger", died last Tuesday at the age of 71 from a form of Leukemia. She wrote several of my most favorite romantic comedies including Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally, among others, using the interaction between her characters to highlight issues in relationships and love. And she did it in a realistic but at the same time fun manner.


In my own writing, I am still trying to work on something she showcased brilliantly through the actors who translated her writing to screen, that chemistry and banter between her couples, simply electric! She made you smart and gasp at the acerbic wit, think at the punchy philosophy and cry, just as laugh, at some the lines. It was amazing.

Below are some of my best quotes from my favorites Nora Ephron's romantic comedies. May her soul rest in peace.

You've Got Mail
What will NY152 say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you.

Sleepless in Seattle
...it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic.

When Harry Met Sally
I love that you get cold when it is 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle in your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.



3 comments:

  1. I love those movies. She was amazing. The dialogue is always on point. May she RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were, she was an amazing writer.

      Delete
  2. Awww, just reading this!
    I love those movies as well and the quotes as well especially the When Harry Met Sally one, CLASSIC!
    She was a gifted writer, may she RIP

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.