Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The TIFF Trailer of the “Half of a Yellow Sun” Movie

Posted in: , ,

This trailer has just come online, and the buzz is building. Why? Though there was some delay, the film has now been accepted to be shown at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in September. This is where movies primed for Oscars and other major film awards are first presented. HOAYS movie will also be opening the 2013 Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF) in Nigeria closer to the end of the year.

Shadow and Act shared the official synopsis of the Half of a Yellow Sun film


Weaving together the lives of four people swept up in the turbulence of war. Olanna (Newton) and Kainene (Rose) are glamorous twins from a wealthy Nigerian family. Returning to a privileged city life in newly independent 1960s Nigeria after their expensive English education, the two women make very different choices.Olanna shocks her family by going to live with her lover, the “revolutionary professor” Odenigbo (Ejiofor) and his devoted houseboy Ugwu (Boyega) in the dusty university town of Nsukka; Kainene turns out to be a fiercely successful businesswoman when she takes over the family interests, and surprises herself when she falls in love with Richard (Mawle) an English writer.Preoccupied by their romantic entanglements, and a betrayal between the sisters, the events of their life loom larger than politics. However, they become caught up in the events of the Nigerian civil war, in which the lgbo people fought an impassioned struggle to establish Biafra an independent republic, ending in chilling violence which shocked the entire country and the world.



My first thoughts;

- I still think an Oscar nomination or win is in the works for the cast and crew of this movie.

- The accents are a bit off, but believable. Chiwetel has the closest.

- Thandie Newton and Anika Noni Rose manage to almost look alike

- Though she's still in the movie, I saw several naija actors but not genevieve in the preview - Zack Orji, Onyeka Onwenu, Gloria Young, Tina Mba. Did I miss her?

- I can watch this again and again, there's just something about seeing books made into movie if done well. Gong by this, they did an amazing job.

- I don't think any Nollywood actors could have pulled off the main roles. These producers and the director are not playing. No PG13 stuff here. Wonder if it will pass censor's board?

- Chiwetel, I've seen your chest hair and my like has gone down 2 percentage points.

I could go on and on. Add yours in the comments.




8 comments:

  1. Me neither!! Love your review of the trailer Myne! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited, love the trailer and still love Chiwetel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this trailer was chilling ooo..choi..cant wait. Off to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm I don't know. It has that standard third world movie look. No difference between kingston, port au prince, rwanda and freetown. But hey, it's a movie afterall.
    I love chiwetel's accent though. It sounds almost real. I know the girls were british educated but that accent of Thandie is somehow.
    Anyways, what does my opinion matter? Chimamanda likes it and that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you on that one though about the standard third world movie look. I'm really excited about the movie but I feel like I'm not excited enough. Maybe it's because I have the book sitting on my counter and I still haven't finished, or because like you said that third world movie look.

      And then I'm like if this is what is going to represent us at the oscars then it'd be a representation of the idea that we have to get foreign actors to do our movies for us, or to be the leads.

      I'm sorry Myne, I don't believe that there is no Nollywood actor that could have done the roles better. I think we just haven't had stories that challenged our actors enough to reach outside the box. I mean check out the teaser for '76 though, if someone told me that either Rita or Ramsey could pull that off, I'd be like "please Ramsey only knows how to love" but the trailer says something else.

      http://www.nollywoodreinvented.com/2012/11/coming-soon-lions-of-76.html <-- 76 is here

      So whilst I'm excited about I'm a bit less excited about what it tries to portray our industry as.

      Delete
  5. Yep, thumbs up for Chiwetel's accent. I've read the book, now I want to watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol yes! I've seen his chest hair too and I agree. I hear uhm Genevieve is the lady in red at 40 to 42seconds in.

    http://www.nollywoodreinvented.com/2013/07/coming-soon-half-of-yellow-sun.html

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.