Thursday, June 26, 2014

Matt Lauer Asks Mary Barra If She Can Run General Motors and Be a Good Mom Too

Posted in: , , ,

In an interview for the TODAY Show, Matt Lauer asked the CEO of General Motors, Mary Barra, if it was possible for her to run a major company and be a good mom at the same time. 

I'm kind of disappointed in Matt Lauer. Like, really? Did he have no better questions to ask the CEO of General Motors than whether she thinks she's a good mom? There are recalls and failures in leadership at GM and we're emphasizing on the CEO's parenting skills?

Maybe we should ask Matt Lauer, are you able to do your job as anchor of the TODAY show at NBC and be a good dad? Parenting should be the last thing a serious news anchor like Matt Lauer should ask someone when they have come on air for an interview about their professional life!

Below are some excerpts from the transcript of that part of the interview:


LAUER: You’re a mom, I mentioned, two kids. You said in an interview not long ago that your kids told you they’re going to hold you accountable for one job and that is being a mom.

BARRA: Correct. (smiling.)

LAUER: Given the pressures of this job at General Motors, can you do both well?

BARRA: You know, I think I can. I have a great team, we’re on the right path…I have a wonderful family, a supportive husband and I’m pretty proud of the way my kids are supporting me in this.

Matt Lauer also asked her if she thinks the speculations that GM needed a maternal figure to guide the company through a rocky time, and that is the reason she got the job rather than her 30 years of experience at the company.

LAUER: I want to tread lightly here. You’ve heard this, you heard it in Congress. You got this job because you’re hugely qualified, 30 years in this company a variety of different jobs. But some people are speculating that you also got this job because as a woman and as a mom because people within General Motors knew this company was in for a very tough time and as a woman and a mom you could present a softer image and softer face for this company as it goes through this horrible episode. Does it make sense or does it make you bristle?

BARRA: Well it’s absolutely not true. I believe I was selected for this job based on my qualificiations. We dealt with this issue — when the senior leadership of this company knew about this issue, we dealt with this issue.

I like how she handled herself in answering Matt Lauer, but those questions were totally uncalled for.




1 comment:

  1. I disagree. I think moms often forget that they have the most impact job on the planet-that of raising the leaders of the next generation. Shirking that responsibility by taking a job that will certainly lessen her ability to do a good job as a mother, which it most certainly will, is completely papain of her. Kudos to her kids for highlighting this an kudos to Matt Lauer foot bringing it up. Mothers need to be held accountable for their actions toi.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.