Monday, July 14, 2014

Malala Marks Her 17th Birthday With Escaped Chibok Girls and Parents [Photos]

Posted in: , ,

Malala Yousafzai, who is currently visiting Nigeria, has pledged yesterday to help free the 219 schoolgirls being held by Boko Haram since April 15. 

Malala met with about 15 parents and five of the 57 girls who escaped from the Boko Haram custody. Some of the parents broke down in tears as Malala spoke at a hotel.

“I can see those girls as my sisters … and I’m going to speak up for them until they are released.”

Malala's 17th birthday is today and she cut a cake with some of her guests to cheer things up. She is also scheduled to meet with President Goodluck Jonathan today.

Malala further told the parents and escaped girls;

“I’m going to participate actively in the ‘bring back our girls’ campaign to make sure that they return safely and they continue their education.”

“I can feel … the circumstances under which you are suffering. It’s quite difficult for a parent to know that his daughter is in great danger. My birthday wish this year is bring back our girls now and alive.”

“My request to the government is that they should take you serious. They should definitely take you serious. If you don’t focus on the future generation it means you are destroying your country. Think about these girls.”










No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.