Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Lena Dunham Apologises For 'Insensitive' Use Of Sexual Predator Description In New Book

Posted in: , ,


Lena Dunham has now apologized for how she described seeking the attentions of her younger sister like a "sexual predator".

Lena had yesterday called reports by some media outlets which alleged that she had sexually molested her little sister, "upsetting and disgusting.” However, there were also other voices that were not happy with the description used in the book which seemed to make light of abuse.

Lena has now released an official apology to TIME, explaining that she was “insensitive” with her use of words in the book, and it was never her intention to trigger painful memories for abuse victims. She wrote;

I am dismayed over the recent interpretation of events described in my book Not That Kind of Girl.

First and foremost, I want to be very clear that I do not condone any kind of abuse under any circumstances. Childhood sexual abuse is a life-shattering event for so many, and I have been vocal about the rights of survivors.

If the situations described in my book have been painful or triggering for people to read, I am sorry, as that was never my intention. I am also aware that the comic use of the term “sexual predator” was insensitive, and I’m sorry for that as well.

As for my sibling, Grace, she is my best friend, and anything I have written about her has been published with her approval.”

In the new memoir, Not That Kind Of Girl, Lena Dunham had admitted touching her younger sister’s vagina and kissing her starting from when her sister was just one year old and Lena 7yo.

Following the fallout, Lena Dunham announced that she would be cancelling her readings in Antwerp and Berlin, expressing her apologies to her Belgian and German fans on Twitter.

Picture - Lena Dunham/Twitter



1 comment:

  1. Although I'm not a fan of some of Lena Durham's antics and ideology I actually admire her a great deal. About the insensitive use of words; I thinks she's getting carried away with all the importance being ascribed to her, what with being called the voice of her generation and all...

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.