Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lekki Wives - TV Show or the Moral Police

Posted in: , , ,

Lekki Wives is a new series produced and directed by Blessing Effiom Egbe, the producer of “Two Brides and a Baby” which I haven't seen, but whose other romantic comedies I have liked in the past. When I first heard the title, I thought it was going to be a reality TV series, in the mold of the "Wives" of USA - Basketball Wives, Hollywood Ex-Wives, Real Housewives of wherever, etc. but that is not the case. It is a scripted drama comedy series, more like Desperate Housewives.

Lekki wives is touted to "highlight the lives and antics of five women who live in the highbrow, posh Lekki area of Lagos and is a true reflection of the modus operandi of many wealthy, fashionable and “happening’ women who call it home." Lekki wives stars Kiki Omeili, Adaora Ukoh, Katherine Edoho, Keira Hewatch, and Chinomnso Young as the main characters.

The series producers say they aim to teach, inform and at the same time, entertain viewers with the show. I have seen the preview and the first thing I notice is the clean camera work, the interior settings are also very well designed and colored. However, I'm not too sure about some of the storylines in there, they seem to want to shock and push the envelope. At the same time, it could work if done well.





My major problem with the promo out so far is that supposedly, "the main aim of these series asides the obvious entertainment and informative value, is to create awareness and deter upcoming wives and young girls alike from pursuing only the glamorous aspects of life but to have a broader sense of who they are as women in an otherwise corrupt society where loose and immoral ways of acquiring wealth and living is the order of the day."

The show also seeks to "teach women the importance of self awareness, self respect, self satisfaction and above all self service to the home, society, mankind and God."

Ehmmm...While that is all lofty and not bad on it's own, I am often leery of overly preachy methods of entertainment. I'm tempted to ask, who has died and made the producers of Lekki Wives the moral police? Can't you just entertain us, and allow each viewer tease out the lessons they will?

Anyway, I have just come from watching the Adam's Apples Series over the holiday period, and I'm reminded a bit of that with Lekki Wives. If this show is any bit as entertaining, I'll surely be tuning in. The producers should try and make it available online, several options abound - Distrify, Amazon Instant video, Youtube, etc. All the best to them.




17 comments:

  1. I can’t even get myself to press play…I hate all things with “ wives” in the title. I blame US TV industry for that…lol


    Happy new year Myne!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, dear. As for the wives franchise in the US, I bypassed them all :)

      Delete
    2. +1 All these copy-copy don tire me.
      Happy New Year Myne!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh you saw the adams apples series!!! Yay, see that Myne I am slowly and surely converting you. See how more of your posts are focusing on Nollywood? Muahaha... it's all part of the plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes o, very entertaining. I've always been a fan of our own stories, one of the reasons I write. I'm just not encouraged by the quality of most of Nollywood.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, and here i was thinking it was supposed to be a reality tv show. I must admit i was curious to see how they were planning on pulling that off. Now that i've seen the trailer...yeah, i'm not really that interested lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The preview has its good and bad sides, but yeah, I'm glad it's not reality TV.

      Delete
    2. I thought it was reality TV SHOW TOO oo. lol

      Delete
  4. I actually thought it is a reality show...thank you for clearing that up.
    They should just go ahead and entertain and save us the moral stories biko. I just might watch it sha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abi, I hope it meets up to expectations.

      Delete
  5. lol...i also dont lik ethe whole tv "wives" series. But i just have to watch this one. I am too curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from Desperate Housewives, I couldn't stand those reality TV wannabes, too much drama.

      Delete
  6. Myne I love the new look on the blog! Very nice...back to Lekki wives looks good but some of those actresses don't fit the stereotype of trophy wives just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pendo. LOL at trophy wives and their looks, but did you see the backside?

      Delete
  7. Dont know if I will watch this show/series. Ive never been good with series and worse the objective of this one just makes me leery. Ike high BP adighi m. lol
    I did want to want that Adam's Apple series. Where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first few episodes are on amazon, reelafrica.com and hulu.com. The ones on Youtube are in 10min pieces, but complete 10 chapters.

      Delete
  8. Waow, everyone's knocking something they haven't seen.
    Where Nollywood was 22 years ago is not where it is now.
    I don't intent to convert you guys to fans of entertainment projects maid in Nigeria,
    but wait till you hear from someone on this site who has seen this lekki Wives
    before you begin to bash it.
    I have seen some good nollywood projects both films and TV and I think
    you have some people who have made an effort to make it entertaining
    for it's viewers. But like the saying goes, a prophet is never appreciated in his own city.

    Good luck people and continue to enjoy the history and entertainment of other cultures.

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.