Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Marissa Mayer Tells Vogue About Being CEO of Yahoo and Loving Fashion Too

Posted in: , , ,

Marissa Mayer now seems to have always been ahead but she also spent years in Google slowly rising through the ranks till she got to the top before moving to Yahoo as CEO. However, being a woman, and one who loves looking good, has made Marissa Mayer trend for more than just her executive decisions.


Her appearance, her motherhood and the way her policies will affect female employees have all, fairly or not, been the subject of spirited discussion, both offline and online. Now, a two-page photo spread in September's Vogue magazine has people talking again.

In the article, in which Mayer reveals a fondness for even numbers, cashmere boleros, pineapple milkshakes and Candy Crush, she also provides insight into her first year at Yahoo's helm.

On her vision for Yahoo: "Close your eyes and listen to this list. E-mail, maps, weather, news, stock quotes, share photos, group communication, sport scores, games. You're listening to what people do on their mobile phones. And it sounds like a list of what Yahoo does."

On buying blogging site Tumblr: "I've done now between three and four dozen acquisitions in my career ... and I've never seen this kind of lock-and-key fit between two companies. Our demographic is older. Theirs is the youngest on the Web."

On her controversial move to end work-from-home at Yahoo: (In a conversation with Web investor and pioneer Esther Dyson) "Mayer elaborates, a little defensively, on her reasons for the change. She never meant it as any kind of larger statement about society, but simply as the right decision for Yahoo, where by various accounts working from home often meant hardly working. Teams are happier now that absent participants don't teleconference in for meetings. Messages on Yahoo's 'devel-random' e-mail list, the company's informal forum, have lately turned positive. And in perhaps the clearest sign of support, employees have, she tells Dyson, 'stopped leaking my e-mails' to the press."

On getting ahead in Silicon Valley: "I didn't set out to be at the top of technology companies. I'm just geeky and shy and I like to code. ... It's not like I had a grand plan where I weighed all the pros and cons of what I wanted to do—it just sort of happened."

Via CNN



3 comments:

  1. I was so so pleased to see you over at my blog Myne. I have to say I am so impressed by what you have been able to accomplish here. I remember two posts I read of yours relating to what you wanted to achieve. One was someone giving you a hard time about Naija stories and you mentioned there that you are a doer not a talker. I think that was the first post of yours that I read. and then another where you were saying how you were not making money from blogging but that was your end goal. You've done it.
    I have to tell you though that I sorely miss your writing posts. In fact I've been thinking of becoming more active at your writers site again.

    ReplyDelete

  2. A wedding ceremony is typically one particular with all the most significant days within a couples’ existence and making it specific by implementing a specific matter is not remarkable. Truly, if the bride is basically an enthusiast of medieval events, literature or background, this overspecialization can give it an additional contact of joy and adore. Medieval bridal ceremony apparel can flip a traditional wedding ceremony right into a distinctive and probably certainly one of a sort expertise that no daydream of medieval enthusiast would dare to miss.
    http://www.bestdress2014.com/ruching-strapless-organza-chapel-train-aline-floor-length-wedding-dress-p-4810.html

    ReplyDelete

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.