Monday, December 15, 2014

Andrew Hawkins Explains Wearing ‘Justice For Tamir Rice And John Crawford’ T-Shirt

Posted in: ,

Andrew Hawkins was moved to tears in a new video as he explains why he wore the “Justice For Tamir Rice and John Crawford” t-shirt recently - activism that had prompted the head of the Cleveland Police Union to demand an apology from the NFL player.

The Cleveland Browns wide receiver said he wore the “Justice for Tamir Rice and John Crawford” T-shirt, with Andrew Hawkins not because he's an activist, but that he felt compelled. He wore the shirt during warm-ups and introductions prior to the football game on Sunday, when the Browns played the Bengals. Check out the video and excerpts from his speech below...



“I was taught that justice is a right that every American should have and justice should be the goal of every American. Ultimately it means fair treatment. A call for justice shouldn’t offend anybody. I utterly respect and appreciate every police officer that protects and serves all of us with integrity.”

.....

“My mom has taught me my entire life to respect police officers. My wearing of the t-shirt was a stance against those doing the wrong thing. Those who assume the worst of me. Being a police officer takes bravery. When a police officer makes a snap decision it’s a matter of life and death. I’m not an activist in any way, shape or form.”

......

“The thought of what happened to Tamir Rice happening to my little boy scares the living hell out of me.”

Tamir Rice was a 12-year-old shot dead by a Cleveland police officer after Rice was discovered in a park waving around what was assumed by police to be a real gun.

John Crawford is making the news due to a newly released video that shows police threatening and accusing Crawford’s girlfriend of being high after police shot and killed John Crawford at a Wal-Mart store in Beavercreek, Ohio, reports Yahoo! News.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Click Post a Comment to share your thoughts, I'll love to hear from you. Thanks!

*Comments on old posts are moderated and may take sometime to be shown. That's just because I want to see them and respond to you if necessary.